Monday 4 October 2010

Oriental Poetry Forms in English (1): Guan Xiu's Unrhymed Quatrain

Guan Xiu wrote 9 poems about orchids
in the Complete Poetry of the Tang (Dynasty)

This post is, perhaps, rather late in the day, as I submitted my poem to Sol Magazine so long ago; but having found it on the web, it seemed a case of 'better late than never'.

*

My published example:
you will find my short poem here, if you scroll down to the section marked:

MAY -- SIGHTS AND SCENTS OF SPRING -- UNRHYMED QUATRAIN

My Swansea poem took Second Position in a competition for unrhymed quatrains in the style of the Chinese poet, 貫休 or Guan Xiu (832-912).

*

Compose an Unrhymed Quatrain in the style of Guan Xiu:

The first of Two Poems Written on the Wall of a Villager's Cottage in Late Spring (here) will serve as a template for you to follow.

No comments: